Senior Major Gift Officer - Beacon Health FoundationCompany: Beacon Health System
Date Posted: August 8, 2017
IF INTERESTED PLEASE APPLY AT THE FOLLOWING LINK:
Reports to the President, Beacon Health Foundation. Meets annual revenue goals through the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gift prospects (individuals and corporations) by aligning their interests and passion with Beacon's mission, vision and Case for Support. Delivers a delightful giving experience where benefactors are connected to Beacon through the Beacon Health Foundation staff and Beacon Health System leaders, physicians and staff.
MISSION & VISION
Mission: To enhance the physical, mental and emotional well-being of the communities we serve as the community’s provider of outstanding quality, superior value and comprehensive health care services.
Vision: Our vision is to achieve:
- Innovative health care and well-being services of the highest quality at the greatest value
- Easy access and convenience
- Outstanding patient experiences
- Ongoing education involving physicians, patients and the community
Education and Experience
The knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated below are normally acquired through the successful completion of a Bachelor’s degree. A Master’s degree preferred. Requires a minimum of five years’ successful experience in major or planned gift fundraising preferably in healthcare and a demonstrated record of meeting fund raising revenue goals.
Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrates knowledge of and a commitment to Beacon Health System’s mission and values and our goal of providing exceptional patient experiences through following Beacon’s Performance Essentials.
- Requires a broad-based knowledge of fund development. Familiarity with tax and legal implications, investments and planned giving opportunities is a plus.
- Requires highly developed networking, influencing and negotiating skills.
- Requires the interpersonal skills necessary to engage and build life-long relationships with benefactors and prospects and to establish credibility with benefactors, prospects and colleagues.
- Demonstrates the ability to navigate through complex and/or multi-level organizations if necessary. The ability to identify, cultivate and solicit planned giving prospective donors is a plus.
- Demonstrates a very high level of verbal and written communication skills necessary for effective personal, print and electronic communications and the ability to make formal and informal presentations in variety of settings.
- Demonstrates project management and organizational skills required to handle multiple, complex fund raising activities simultaneously and coordinate solicitation strategies.
- Requires initiative and the ability to work independently and also as part of a team.
- Demonstrates proficiency in computer skills (including data entry, word processing, spreadsheets and database programs). Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge fundraising software a plus.
- Requires daily local and regional travel and occasional national travel (to meetings, conferences, community events, etc).
- Requires the physical ability and stamina to perform the essential functions of the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
1. Raises major gifts from individuals and corporations in support of Beacon’s mission and vision and delivers a delightful giving experience.
- Manages a personal portfolio of 150 major gift individuals and companies and meets annual philanthropic targets for revenue, face-to-face visits, phone calls, proposals and stewardship reports.
- Systematically develops new prospect leads for the Beacon Health Foundation through networking with assigned prospects and through community involvement.
- Seeks to innovate by analyzing the current system, identifying opportunities to enhance our benefactors’ giving experiences and leading positive change.
- Develops a customized cultivation strategy for each assigned major gift prospect, including systematic and thoughtful phone contact, face-to-face visits and hospital and program tours.
- Develops a customized solicitation strategy for each assigned major gift prospect, including preparation of written proposal information materials, endowment agreements, gift illustrations and other materials needed to secure major gifts.
- Develops a customized stewardship strategy for each assigned major gift benefactor. Includes the effective collecting, recording and acknowledgement of gifts of $5,000 or more. Also includes the development of stewardship plans and reports and the execution of these plans.
- Ensures that prospect and benefactor records are maintained and updated on a timely basis through effective and consistent communication with the Benefactor Information Specialist of the Beacon Health Foundation.
- Maintains exceptional benefactor relationships through systematic personal contact, phone calls, email and correspondence.
2. Works to establish strong relationships within the Beacon Health Foundation. Also works to establish strong partnerships between the Beacon Health Foundation and the leadership and staff of the Beacon Health System and its boards.
- Develops a keen understanding of Beacon’s mission, vision and Case for Support to effectively represent Beacon and its funding needs to the public.
- Establishes and maintains regular communication with the President of the Beacon Health Foundation, including but not limited to discussion of prospect strategies and updates on job performance and benefactor and prospect status reports.
- Establishes and nurtures relationships with leadership and staff of the Beacon Health System to enhance understanding of the Case for Support and to facilitate the development of relationships between prospects, benefactors and Beacon leadership and staff.
- Ensures that Beacon’s leaders and staff are fully briefed about major benefactor and prospect strategies they will participate in and that they are fully briefed prior to meetings or contacts with these benefactors and prospects.
- Identifies new prospects for the benefit of the Beacon Health Foundation team.
- Works with Beacon Health Foundation staff to develop cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies and to help prepare written communications to benefactors and prospects.
3. Works to establish and nurture community relationships.
- Promotes the positive image of Beacon Health System in philanthropic fund development and community-related activities and service.
- Attends community events on behalf of Beacon Health Foundation.
- Advises the President of the Beacon Health Foundation about community event and partnership opportunities.
4. Performs other functions to maintain personal competence and contribute to the overall effectiveness of the department by:
- Works with Market Communications staff on communications materials, mailing lists and mailings.
- Completes other job-related assignments and special projects as directed.