Sr. Director of AdvancementCompany: Valparaiso Family YMCA
Date Posted: March 8, 2018
The Valparaiso Family YMCA is seeking a qualified professional to fulfill the role of Sr. Director of Advancement for our organization. Reporting directly to the CEO, the Sr. Director of Advancement is responsible for promoting the YMCA's mission and directing financial development, and Marketing strategies and activities.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Sr. Director of Advancement reports to the CEO and serves as a member of the leadership team, providing strategic guidance in financial development to advance the YMCAs mission through annual giving, government and foundation grants, endowment bequests and gifts, and capital campaigns. Additionally, this position guides the budget, development and implementation of all of the Y’s marketing strategies, marketing communications and public relations activities, both external and internal.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
Oversees Financial Development Team:
1. Provides leadership to create strategy, policies, and procedures to shape, define and achieve the Financial Development and Marketing goals of the Y’s strategic plan.
2. Directs and achieves organizational goals for foundation, planned giving and legacy campaigns.
3. Achieves goals set forth in Major Gifts development ($5,000+)
4. Achieves goals set forth in existing and the development of new corporate sponsorships ($5,000+)
5. Assists with the development of a Living Our Cause culture throughout the organization, tying the culture to the ability of our employees to act philanthropically on behalf of Development while driving our mission.
· Partners with leadership team to create a philanthropic culture in which staff understands our need for Development funding and where the dollars are being allocated, vividly tying these to our mission and strategic plan.
· Creates high-level communication plans to ensure members, participants, and the community understand the case for support.
6. Provide staff leadership for the Endowment Committee of the Board of Directors and the Foundation Board of Trustees.
7. Manages resources needed to carry out the Development plans; establishes and monitors the organization’s Financial Development department budget.
8. Assists the CEO in developing an engaged fundraising volunteer board of directors.
9. Works closely with development staff and senior leadership to analyze development plan results and proactively develop tactical strategies to address areas where goals are not being met.
10. Manages Development team and leads weekly team meetings.
Oversees Marketing Team:
1. Develops and executes the YMCA message, voice, and integrated communication strategy; performs metric-based evaluation of marketing and communications strategies, plans and tactics.
2. Oversees all marketing communication through multiple channels to a wide range of stakeholders; members, donors, prospects, community partners, key influencers, volunteers, media, and the community at-large.
3. Leads marketing team to
· Collaborate closely with other departments to synchronize overall branding and messaging, and to communicate outcomes commensurate with the mission, program offerings, and services.
· Oversee creation and distribution of all print, electronic, and mobile communications for programs, philanthropy, executive needs, including but not limited to annual reports, press releases, program guides, brochures, speeches, calendars, website, social media, and other materials in print and electronic formats.
· Ensure brand compliance, message clarity, best-practices design and layout, and drives overall consistency of marketing materials.
· Oversee the direct communication of the YMCA brand across all channels, including but not limited to print, audio, video, internet, mobile, and social media platforms.
4. Coordinate media interest in the Y and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests and act as the Y’s representative with the media.
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 5 years’ equivalent professional experience required.
• Experience with the development of strategic approaches to fundraising, marketing and communications required.
• Passion for the mission of the YMCA and the ability to effectively serve as an ambassador for the organization required.
• Ability to create an atmosphere of teamwork and collaboration required.
• Ability to create interpretive materials to enable potential donors to understand the YMCA and how they contribute to the achievement of its mission required.
• Foundation and government grant writing expertise preferred.
• Advanced knowledge MS Office required.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
• Advanced organizational and project management abilities required.
• Certified Fundraising Executive certified preferred; YMCA Organizational Leader and Global Leader certifications preferred or obtained in reasonable amount of time post hire.
• Health, Dental and Vision Insurance available after 30 days of employment, partially paid for by YMCA
• Life insurance available after 30 days of employment, paid for by YMCA
• Long-term disability insurance available after one year of employment, paid for by YMCA
• Group supplemental insurance available after 30 days of employment
• Generous personal time package, including vacation and sick time
• National YMCA retirement plan with 8% YMCA investment, after 2 years of hire (employee contribution may begin immediately)
Valparaiso Family YMCA has about 350 active employees and has a rich history for being a successful mid-sized YMCA located in Valparaiso, Indiana. Valparaiso is a great town to live and work in. Located in Porter County, Valparaiso is known for its small, college town atmosphere with quick accessibility to Chicago and is 15 minutes from the beautiful Indiana Dunes.
Apply at our web site, including resume, salary requirement and references, at valpoymca.peoplematter.jobs/. Applications accepted through 4/8/18.